Thursday, March 29, 2012

11 Things About Me & More

CaL tagged me in her "11 things," so here are mine!

There are five rules:
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things. 
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post. 
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them. 
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you've tagged them. 


My 11 Things:

1: I make to-do lists upon to-do lists. There are currently three sitting beside me, with a few things crossed off each, and a few things doubled up on both lists. I'm a bit of a mess. I really enjoy when I can get rid of a list though. That feels great. Also, how do people live without dayplanners?? I don't always look at mine but don't know how I'd get by without it.

2: I only know which direction is which by finding the mountains (North) and then reciting "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" clockwise (North South East West). I am pretty directionally challenged. I rely heavily on Mapquest and only know my way to places or around areas that I've driven a lot by myself (not as a passenger). It's pretty embarrassing. I don't know my city very well, or at least feel that way. I am never good at helping tourists or my mom's international students out :s
This also means I'm pretty hopeless in new areas where the mountains aren't there as my compass.

3: I could really live without TV. I do have a few shows I love right now, but I am happier when there is no TV around. I went a few years without and it was great!

4: I stopped eating chicken around the end of Elementary school because I somehow became obsessed with the idea of having a pet chicken, so then the idea of eating chicken grossed me out. I only really missed KFC popcorn chicken and Mcdonalds chicken mcnuggets (with honey & ketchup or sweet & sour sauce) for awhile, it wasn't really a big deal. Not bad things to cut out of one's diet anyways! Haha. I gave up fish soon after as I never really liked it anyway and the thought started to gross me out too (I used to eat the batter off fish n chips and leave the fish. My grandparents weren't very impressed). I never really ate red meat [the exception being Mcdonalds cheeseburgers for a while - when I was quite young, apparently those don't count, mostly cardboard anyway ;) ]. I was going towards vegan for awhile but am totally not now. I love cheese and french toast, haha. I drink soy milk though, not cow's milk.

5: I will probably never be able to have all the pets I'd like to in my lifetime, and that makes me sad.
(including by not limited to a pug, english bulldog, borzoi, italian greyhound, pitty, staffy, rotty, old mini daschund, maltese/poodle, whippet, miniature poodle, little shih tzu, old gsp, british short hair (cat), exotic shorthair, bengal, siamese, .... chickens, little goats, Ben wants ducks, ... I'll stop here. You get the idea.)

6: I have a really hard time getting out of the bed in the morning. On days off when I don't *need* to get out of bed I usually laze around for an inappropriate amount of time before getting up, even if there's lots I want to do that day. It's kind of a problem but I can't seem to fix it.

7: I am addicted to the deep-fried tofu at the Thai House. Some people think it's boring and tasteless (you do need to dip it in sauce) but I could probably eat like two platefuls in one sitting if it didn't seem so ridiculous. I always get the same thing there - the tofu, maybe some spring rolls (they are sooo good there too) and mixed veggies with green curry & rice. I'm very predictable. And now I am hungry.

8: I love breakfast. It is the greatest. Waffles with strawberries, french toast with honey or cinnamon or both, crepes with fruit, pannekoeken with fruit, hashbrownnnnns. Yesssss. Even hungrier now. Also, breakfast is good at any time of day. Duh.

9: I didn't used to like walking places or taking the girls out for long walks a lot... I thought maybe I was just horribly lazy. But now that we've moved and are in a real neighbourhood with groceries and shops & coffee shops close by, and a field where the girls love to run around, and it's relatively flat, I love walking places and taking them out! It's awesome! I take them out for walks/runs in the park on my days off, walk to get groceries... I'm not quite as lazy as I thought I was! Haha.

10: I am sooo much happier and more energetic & just feel more human & like "myself" when it's sunny. Like, ridiculously so. I should probably move to California or something. I would be a much better, more productive person. I don't really notice it until we get more sunny days in the spring after a dark winter and I'm like WOW, I've been in a slump for months!! At least it feels that way.

11: I am addicted to fairytales the way some people are addicted to cigarrettes, or video games, or drugs. Fairytales are my drug. They fill my heart and my dreams.

CaL's Q's:

1. Have you ever been in a haunted house & do you believe in that sort of thing?
I'm not sure! I moved into my Grandma's house after my Grandpa had passed away and my bedroom used to be his office. I swear I saw or felt something one night. I am not a NON believer... I am scared of the dark, I think that says something, haha.

2. Do you have a large or small family & which do you prefer?
 Large, I guess. Lots of step this n thats and cousins... I like it that way. There's always someone there for you. Someone that can commiserate about infuriating family members, someone that knows your embarrassing stories... Someone to call you when you're in a rough spot.

3. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
Both! I used to be a cat person - we never had a dog growing up but had cats and I loved them. But, I'm pretty surrounded by dogs these days and I ADORE them. Dogs make my world go round. But purrs still fill my heart right up :)

4. If you could travel anywhere for a day, where would you go?
Only ONE place? Man, I'll have to choose carefully. I would like to spend a day with my great grandma & great grandpa when they were young (you said travel anywhere! that could be anytime, right...?). I love old photos and stories of them. My great-grandpa was quite short & my great-grandma was quite tall... My great-grandpa always has a bit of a sly smile in photos and my great-grandma was strong and took care of their whole family by whatever means possible when times were tough. She was also a dog lover and had a boxer as well as a cocker spaniel and some others...

If that doesn't count then I'll go to the Galapagos Islands. It looks GORGEOUS there with so many awesome creatures to check out! And I like warm places with blue water :)

5. What is your favorite book & why?
Again just one? Such difficult questions! I love Michael Ondaatje's writing, my favourite book of his so far is probably "In the Skin of a Lion." "Rose Daughter" by Robin McKinley is another of my favourites. I'm a bit obsessed with the Beauty & the Beast story, and this is perhaps my favourite version. Yeah, I didn't pick just one. Oh well! Too hard.

6. Do you speak any other languages?
I took French Immersion from before Elementary school through to my second year of college, I think. I can get by ok but my grammar isn't great, I don't have the words for many specific things and often miss chunks of what people say if they speak too fast, and can't catch most of the lyrics in songs which makes me sad.

7. If you were to host a tour of your hometown what would you do?
Go to Maplewood farm (pet the bunnies and get nibbled on by little goats!), walk the seawall at Stanley park (the ocean, the trees, the beach, yes!), eat some awesome sushi, then donuts at Harmony Donuts, end the evening with Bard on the Beach (Shakespeare in tents by the beach!). A bit all over the place but those are some of my faves.

8. Do you have a comfort food & if so, what is it?
Maybe popcorn?

9. If you could live in any time period, when would that be?
It would be cool to check out the dino scene for awhile, but I wouldn't want to live there. Maybe during a time when people wrote letters and sailed on ships rather than text messages and planes. I feel like we take so much for granted these days and it makes me sad. We've lost the magic & wonder of traveling for weeks or months to see a foreign country across the world. I mean, across the world! That's big! That used to really mean something. Planes have kind of taken that away. I think in a way things were better when you had to actually go to India for Indian things, not a cheap import shop. When you wrote long letters to far-away loved ones rather than made a Facebook update to people in general. You know, minus all the disease and stuff....

10. Which character in any movie or television show do you most relate to?
Oh man I'm not really sure. I can think of lots of characters I loved or wanted to be like (um, Buffy anyone? Or super quick like Whitney...) but I'm not sure who I *relate* to. My heart ached so bad for Anne Hatheway's character in Love and Other Drugs. The thought of losing your ability to do what you're passionate about like that was a bit terrifying. And then I got diagnosed with RA. Yay! But it's nothing to Parkinsons. The movies Garden State, Juno & The Go-Getter felt like kindred spirits if that makes any sense. Maybe there's a character out there that I'm forgetting but that's all I got right now.

11. If you were a dinosaur, what kind would you be?
Probably an Apatosaurus. Yeah leaf eaters! And what a crazy neck. That shit is dope.

I'm tagging Brittany, Kerry, Dianne, Beca and Lolo.


My Q's:

1: If you were an animal what would you be and why?
2: What is something you would LOVE to do one day? Something you DREAM of doing. What's holding you back?
3: Do you have a favourite poem? If so please share it! If not, what is your favourite song (lyrics)?
4: Do you feel deeply attached to where you live, or would you like to live somewhere else? Would you like to be a nomad? Are you a nomad?
5: What picks you up when you are in a funk?
6: Do you have a special or secret recipe that you love to make? What is it? Do you feel like sharing it? (I need to start being more domestic, haha)
7:What is your favourite animated movie, or your favourite movie from your childhood if you're not into that? Why?
8: Are there any causes or charities close to your heart? Tell us about it.
9: What is your superpower? Your superhero name?
10: Tell us about someone you'd like to be for a day, or like to spend a day with, past or present, living or dead.
11: Tell us a funny story from when you were young. Maybe that's not technically a question but whatevs.

Ok. That took me a silly long time to finish, but it was fun! Hope you enjoyed it. I'd love to hear some of your answers in the comments, even if you weren't tagged!
xo.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Really interesting! Thanks for tagging me :) I'll get it up in a blog post in the next couple of days!

Stina G said...

Sweet, look forward to reading yours!